Tuesday, 1 January 2013

Monkey wrenches and matters of importance

It's a new year, and I'm full of anticipation and want to make big plans. The problem is, I've made big plans before... and there's always a monkey wrench. Or in my case, a munchkin. I have 4 of them (soon to be 5), all adorable, active, beautiful, busy, creative and crazy (and I could continue the ABCs.. ) little girls.

My house is a beautiful, 4 bedroom, with a very nice wide front porch and absolutely breath-taking flowerbeds (here's hoping I don't destroy them!! *crossing fingers*) that we bought last year. It needs wall-paper removal, floor refinishing, window treatments and a desperate need of usable, short-term storage space downstairs. But we have a large airy kitchen (with so few cupboards, it's laughable!) and my favorite thing: a playroom!! Kid chaos containment, as my husband calls it.

We have books galore, papers and crayons and clothing everywhere, and crafts in various stages of completion/destruction stashed in the oddest places, along with cups, bottles, stuffies, socks and the other assorted accessories girls seem to need.

I would love to put in place a system of homekeeping -- with the old fashioned phrase "a place for everything, and everything in its place" as my motto. I have two issues with this, however. For one, I'm one of those people who is very very visual: if I can't see it, I don't know that it's there. This results in buying duplicates. Or having lots and lots of one thing, and nothing of something else. Second, I have little children who like to pull things out, and don't know how to put things away very well. Who are also very very visual... Well, you get the idea.

So I have been storing things up. Up on shelves, up in baskets on shelves, up in boxes on shelves.. which becomes visual clutter on my walls. Not the restful space I long for, but c'est la vie, I guess.

I would love to organize my time better as well. Fluidity has its moments, but routine I think would be more beneficial. However... a lack of energy (pregnancy related) and having 3 of 4 children be aged 4 and under... sometimes the routine gets trashed just because of a teething baby, or potty-training toddler. I have things I would like to spend more time on doing (like writing!) and things I should spend more time on (like housework!), and things I waste my time on (like email!) and finding a balance that works is difficult at best.

I think I need professional help! LOL

So.. I'm hoping my theme for this year will be organization. In preparation for a future full of crazy, chaotic, creative, curious, cute children, and a house that will be a haven of a home, I really need to declutter, repurpose and re-evaluate what I use and what I spend my time on. Maybe if I take the time now, I will have more time for what I want later.

And maybe it's all wishful thinking. Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment