Tuesday, 19 February 2013

Baby bump blues and pregnant pauses..

You would think after four children I would have maternity clothes that fit throughout a pregnancy, right? Apparently not. I'm running out of decent, going-out, look-nice, cover-all-the-necessary-bits, feel-comfortable clothes. I'm down to about 2 pairs of pants, and maybe 3 shirts that I can wear going out. Now, I have plenty of shloppy, baby-stained, mommy clothes that are comfy. They don't look the nicest, but at least I'm covered and clothed.. it's going out places and looking decent that is a problem. 

Part of the problem is that I guess it took 5 pregnancies for my body to actually get the idea that it's supposed to show a baby bump. With my first pregnancy, you couldn't tell I was pregnant -- even at 9 months! With my 2nd and 3rd, I looked barely pregnant (think 4-5 months along) when I was close to my due dates. With number 3, I finally had a decent baby belly at 9 months, but I honestly only looked about 6-ish.. With this one? Oh anyone can tell that I'm having a baby. I'm not used to not being able to see my toes. I'm not used to not having a lap to hold children on, or finding it this difficult to get up out of a soft chair. It is definitely different. 

Another part of the problem is that maternity clothes are so danged expensive! And even if I weren't on a limited budget, I still refuse to pay $50-60 just for a shirt or a pair of pants I'll wear for just a few months!! To me, that is frankly ridiculous. Now, I know the chances of me wearing it again are fairly high (hello -- pregnant again in a year? probably!), so I'd probably get my money's worth, but there is that limited budget thing too. So.. I shop clearance, I get used, I look for donations.. which means actual maternity clothes are few and far between for me. 

I do need to start looking for a few postpartum and nursing undergarments though. That's one area I will not skimp on, as those are daily usage, and need to not only be comfortable, but durable. So far, the durability thing doesn't seem to be working for me. I wear them out by the time I'm done nursing (or pregnant again!) but I guess the daily usage is harder on those items than I expect. 

I'm still needing to limit my activity levels. Which, as a busy mom, is inconvenient to say the least.. But whatever it takes to avoid a premature baby is worth it. I want my baby at home, in my arms, not in a hospital because I couldn't be bothered to take care of myself properly. I hope I'm a bit more responsible than that. LOL -- I'd better be, yes? 

Being off my feet so much, however, has allowed me to focus on a few projects I've been wanting to get to -- like blogging a tad more regularly. Also, working on a preschool/kindergarten curriculum for my girls, since I can't find anything that I like! I will post more when I have some more things pulled together, but at this point I'm satisfied with my nice framework. I have 6 weeks of topics, coordinated by theme and Bible story, so I'm kind of proud of that. I'm covering basic language and numeracy skills, and skimming over some science, art, music and theme topics weekly too. My girls love variety, so I'm hoping to strike a balance between the repetition necessary for learning and the creativity they thrive on. 

Pregnancy limitations does have its uses, I suppose! It's been interesting, though I can see my library expanding in the near future.. LOL, I'll probably end up starting a lending library eventually, with all the books I'll collect. But we love love LOVE books around here, and I'd rather buy books than toys, so I think it's worth it!


No comments:

Post a Comment