Sunday, 5 January 2014

Do you know..

Do you know how much you are loved?

Do you really understand the love of the Creator of the Universe for you? It seems hard to believe, and even harder to understand, and sometimes we just accept this by faith.

Three simple words, if you really get them, can change your world.

God loves you.

Jesus loves you. It's a children's song, one my children sing almost every day. And I encourage them to, because I need to hear it every day.

Jesus loves me, this I know.

But do I know it? Yes. Yes I do. It's been the knowledge of the love of Jesus that has set me free. It's been the understanding of just how He sees me, just how much more I am in His eyes that has given me the strength, the courage to do what I'm doing, despite the pressures, the manipulations, the struggle.

Yes, Jesus loves me. The Bible tells me so.

The Bible tells me that Jesus loves me so much, He made me "fearfully and wonderfully", "in the secret place", and that He knew me before I was born, that my days were numbered and the hairs on my head counted, and plans were created for me --- That I was set apart for Him.

The Bible says that while I was yet in sin, ignorant and blind and rebellious, He loved me so much He was willing to limit Himself to human flesh, suffer with me on this cursed earth with all its disappointments, pains and torments, and then, even beyond that, tho that would have been enough, He chose to take my place in death and punishment, and to take my sin upon His own flesh, so that I could choose again.

The Bible shows me that though I don't deserve it, though I have done nothing that could earn it, I have been given grace, favor, providence, provision, healing and salvation, all because He loves me.

The Bible says I need do nothing but accept it, believe it and rest in it. What an amazing love!

How much are we loved? So much that our names are carved in the palms of His hands, that the entire world was created just to give us a place to stand on so we could be the recipients of it, that we are the entire focus of the Infinite, Eternal Almighty, and that not only did He create once, but He's promised to do it again, just so we can have a place to play.

How much are we loved? The old hymn says that though the skies of parchment made, and the seas with ink filled, and every man a scribe by trade.. to write out the love of God would drain the oceans dry and the scroll could not contain the whole.

Paul wrote that nothing - not angel, nor devil, not heaven nor hell, not trouble nor trial nor temptation nor sin can ever separate us from the love of God.

God loves us -- and not just those of us who have chosen to follow Him -- but God has this same overwhelming, deeply personal and intimate love for every single human being who ever lived. Whether or not they choose to see it, to recognize it, to accept it.

The writer of Hebrews said that Jesus made the atonement for our sins, and not just for ours only, but for the sins of the whole world! Jesus Himself said that God so loved the world... God loves the entire world that He sent Jesus.

What kind of love is this? God is love personified. He is Love. That is who He is. When Paul wrote that love is patient and kind, never keeping track of wrongs, always persevering and never giving up hope -- Paul was describing the Person of Jesus Christ. It is the Person of Love who is patient and kind and long-suffering.

Love is not abstract or ethereal. He is a Person, and He is real. And His focus is you.

Jesus loves me. This I know. For the Bible tells me so.

No comments:

Post a Comment