Thursday, 27 February 2014

Spidey senses.. spring!

I hate the creepy crawly things, big and black and ugly. They hang from my ceilings and hide in the corners, weaving their dust traps and draping strings of the evidence of my lack of housekeeping everywhere. I never ever thought that, when I saw a huge one, long legged and shudderingly alive, in my bathtub, I'd be thankful.

You know why I'm thankful? Because it's a sure sign of spring. When the spiders start coming out, and the cobwebs become a nuisance, you know spring is around the corner. And for that, I'm thankful. It has been a long, long, hard winter. I am sooo ready for spring.

I look outside my window right now, and it is snowing, blowing, and freezing cold. Here in Ontario, Canada, I don't think we've gone more than 2 or 3 days without snow falling this winter. I can't remember the last time I saw snowbanks this high! Driving the kids to their church group last night, we went past banks that were higher than my van.

Winter, spiders, housework .. they all seem to produce a sense of dread in me. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Maybe it's the amount of work they represent.. or maybe it's just another reminder that I'm on my own, doing this thing called parenthood. As a solo parent, there's no one but me that takes out the garbage, shovels the driveway, and chases away the spiders above my daughters' bunkbed. And the worries about driving in a blizzard, paying the heating bill and buying the bug spray all fall on me.

Spring is just full of life, and growth.. and relief. We made it through another winter. The kids survived, and so did I. Life just gets easier in the spring and summer. No more snowsuits! No more taking longer to dress the kids than we actually spend outside. No more cabin-fevered, stir-crazy children to strew their toys from one end to the next while they desperately try to wring every last ounce of fun from their day.. stuck inside, again. Driving is easier, the kids are easier to entertain, and cleaning is easier... except for the spiders.


I think I have spring fever. I'm dreaming of cleaning my house, making a list of the major projects I want to take care of once the weather warms up, and welcoming spiders, of all things!  

No comments:

Post a Comment