Monday, 10 March 2014

Car troubles

I bought a new-to-me van a few weeks ago. Looks great, and is in pretty decent shape. There were, of course, a few things I needed to fix. I expected that. Tried to budget for it too.

I have never owned a vehicle before, but as they say, there's a first time for everything. It was absolutely necessary I have access to a vehicle, and given my recent history, being independent is a major plus here. I really liked the *idea* of owning a vehicle, but I have no idea what I'm doing in reality.  There are a lot of pluses about owning my own van. My call on when I get to use it, no having to work around someone else's schedule, no worries about hurting someone else's insurance if I break it some how.. But there are a lot of cons too. Like, it's my insurance. It's my responsibility to fix it. It's my gas!

I never realized just how much a car can actually cost. There's not just the purchase price, there's sales tax on that purchase price, license plates, not to mention the license itself, and registration. There's insurance and gas and oil and washer fluid and parts. There's mechanics to pay and tests.

With this van, I've had to have the wheel bearings changed in the front. Thank you stbx for doing the work. Then I called a garage to do the back brakes.. and that's when I was told to check for recalls. What?!? Yes, I was told, call the manufacturer and check and see if this model ever had a recall done. So I did that, and sure enough, there was a recall on it. I ended up having to take that in and get some repairs done. Thankfully they didn't cost too much. Finally I was able to take it in to get the brakes replaced, but oops.. I forgot a certain part in my parts order.

So now I'm stuck. The company I ordered all the parts from originally is out of stock on the one part I do need. The temporary license is about to expire, and there's still one more test to be done. The garage doesn't work weekends, which meant all weekend wasted.. How do I get the part (where do I get it from??), get everything fixed, get the test done, and get the license sticker before the temporary expires?? I have no idea. Nor do I know if I can even afford to do all this.

Yikes!

I know it will all happen in time. I know everything will work out. I know it may be a bit uncomfortable for me for a while. But it is what it is. There really isn't much I can do right now about it all. Just one of those things..

Makes me kinda wish I did an auto repair class instead of music lessons as a kid though. More useful!

No comments:

Post a Comment