Monday, 15 February 2016

Sick days and suffering

My kids are sick. All 5 of them. Between flu, fever, and a possible ear infection, not to mention the coughing fits, its been a pretty miserable few days, and promises to be a few more. I hate when my kids are sick. I'm sure no parent enjoys it. Between the extra work, and the worry.. and the sheer helplessness we feel, its no picnic.

I've spent the last few days cuddling my babies, while monitoring temperatures, getting drinks, and trying to coax food into them. All children want when they're sick is their momma, and this momma is feeling spread pretty thin. But I can't not just want to reach out and gather them all up, and make all the owies go away.

I despise this feeling of helplessness. I can give out the medicine, but medicine only goes so far to relieve the symptoms. I can get the drinks and soups and tissues, but none of that really makes them feel better for long. I can kiss hot foreheads and snuggle wheezy children, but they are still hot and wheezy.

Holding my sick child makes me realize again just how the Father sees me.  Despite my own worries as a parent, I feel amazed again at the love God has for me. Like my children trust me to make them feel better, to take care of them when they're sick, I can trust God to take care of me.

We all suffer sick days. We all have days where the pressure is squeezing and we feel like we can't breathe, when the way through seems blocked, or its all just coming back on us, too fast and too much. There are times when all you want to do is just curl up under  blanket and sleep it all away. Suffering seems pointless and you wish it would end quickly.

Thankfully God isn't helpless like I am with my children. He can, and already has, done everything necessary to end all the suffering we have. Thank God for Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment