Monday, 25 April 2016

Intense Insanity

Sometimes I think I'm crazy.  Sometimes.. I know I am.

This new venture .. or ventures, as the case may be, is probably just crazy. Who am I to think that I can handle raising 5 little princesses on my own, while managing a house and garden, while homeschooling .. and start 3 different businesses too??  I must have not gotten enough sleep.

Well... of course I haven't gotten enough sleep. I haven't had a full night's sleep in years. Maybe even a decade -- the oldest princess is 12, after all. (Don't get me started on preposterous preteen pretensions... ) I digress.

Sometime last fall, in the midst of floods and Christmas and deciding to move, I also came up with the brainwave that I needed to start a business. So I put out a few feelers on some skills that I had, namely, research and networking, along with all things office management related (I can do taxes like nobody's business.. and I enjoy it!! More proof of craziness?) I was asked for a website.

So I started a website. Turns out purchasing a domain and setting up a site isn't actually that hard. I was surprised. I don't know how good my quality is, but it seemed to pass muster, as I actually got a client. (Woo!) Then I was asked a question. So I ended up posting a blog post on my new website.

I started thinking about what I wanted to do with this. I started looking up information on blogging, and marketing and email lists and all that fun but awfully intimidating stuff. Confusing terms like SEO and "opt-in" and "freemium" and affiliates ... whirled around my head like seeing stars after being hit by a ball.

Then, in my interaction on Facebook (since you must interact on Facebook in order to build a following and attract customers), I ended up referring some people to this blog, to answer questions.

Originally, this blog was meant to be a journal of sorts.  It was simply a place for me to write my heart out, to try to put words to my feelings and to sort out my experiences and memories. I started recording my experiences and my solutions to questions I was seeing frequently, so that I could simplly post the link to that post without re-writing the answer all the time.

Then I started using it to experiment with things for my new venture. I played with Google Adwords, and with MailChimp, and with Google Drive to share files. I test things like domain names and hosting with this blog. And all of a sudden, I started seeing my pageviews increase.

I think I'm insane.

And yet..

...the right resources have showed up right when I asked the question. Like, literally, I'd be wondering about how to do something the night before, and the next day I'd get an email or see a facebook post on the exact subject I had a question on.

...the opportunities keep coming. I'm being selective about some, because I know my time is limited, and my priorities are still my girls. But I'm amazed at the options that God keeps setting before me.

...the network I need keeps expanding. I'm meeting more people, more of the right people all the time. People I can help, people who can help me, people who support me and who seem to even like me. It's humbling and inspiring at the same time.

All this tells me I'm on the right track.

So I invite you to join me on my journey. Follow me by email, or click to join my email list. The adventure is ramping up, but I feel like we're still getting started!

No comments:

Post a Comment