Thursday, 2 June 2016

Garden graces

When my ex and I bought a house, one of my favorite parts of that house was the landscaping. It had four full formal flowerbeds, a small orchard with apple, cherry and a pear tree, and space for a vegetable garden. When we separated, I barely had time to keep up with the flowerbeds, let alone anything else. When I sold the house, I mourned the loss of gardening.

I love to garden. It's kind of been a surprise to discover, given that I'm so not a country girl. I'm a city girl, through and through. I'm allergic to hay! But gardening is .. relaxing. Satisfying in a way little else is. I don't even mind getting dirt under my nails, and normally, that is something that drives me crazy. Gardening feeds my soul. 

I'm super excited though about my new house. There's a small flowerbed in the front, (with a rose bush!!) and there's a raised bed in the backyard, with room to expand. This year, I'm not planning to do much. I weeded out the raised bed. Well, I took the sod off the top, given that it had almost turned back to a box of lawn. I planted a small vegetable garden -- just a few tomatoes and peppers, carrots and cucumbers, and peas and corn. Oh and my chocolate mint plant, and a couple of strawberries. I'm also hoping to get some potato tirestacks done. 

What are potato tirestacks? They're this cool idea that make planting and harvesting potatoes easy. First, you stack tires -- just 2 or 3 -- and fill with dirt. Plant the potatoes in the tires. When they're ready to harvest, all you have to do is move the tires and sift the potatoes from the dirt. No digging required! 

For the first time in my life, I'm going to have to mow a lawn. I've never mowed a lawn before. It was a "boy" chore, so I didn't get the opportunity as a teenager. But now I get to/have to do it on my own. My father gave me a gas mower, so it should be relatively easy. I'm actually kind of looking forward to it, and my nearly-teenage daughter is eager to try it herself. I know.. she'll probably get real bored of that chore fairly quickly. But in the meantime, I'll take advantage of that willingness. 

I want to put lighting out on my new deck. Right now, I can't use it in the evenings, because there are no working outside lights there. There is a light fixture, but I have no idea if it works. I should probably try the bulbs and see what happens. I want a barbecue and host friends and their families!
 I can't wait to be able to enjoy summer evenings. I'd love to get a stand-alone firepit as well, and enjoy that too. I love campfires. 

All in all, I'm very much enjoying the yard space from this new house. I get just enough garden space to enjoy without being overwhelmed. I get new experiences. I have space to enjoy a backyard -- and maybe even put in things that I haven't been able to have in years. I love summer. I love gardens. This grace is So. Much. Fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment